One Georgian Drive
College Website: http://www.GeorgianC.on.ca
Posting Date: January 16, 2023
Salary Range: $66,555- $115,378 (as per the collective agreement)
Effective Date: April 10, 2023
This position will be assigned a Summer/Fall rotation but teaching assignments may be changed by the Dean/Associate Dean and occur in any of the three semesters.
We are seeking a full-time Professor of Mathematics for the Engineering and Environmental Technologies, Skilled Trades programs. As a faculty member at Georgian College you will have the opportunity to apply your passion for teaching and share your rich industry experience by creating a supportive and effective learning environment which allows students to achieve their full academic potential. Duties include but are not limited to:
• Develop and deliver a wide variety of Mathematics and related courses in our Engineering and Environmental Technologies, Skilled Trades programs
• Evaluate student progress / achievement
• Maintain subject expertise through professional development, contact with industry, other educational institutions and/or professional bodies
• Create and maintain a positive learning environment
• Incorporate a variety of learning / teaching strategies and technologies to meet student needs
• Participate in portfolio / academic / campus and college-wide activities as required
• Participate in course / curriculum revision, program revision and renewal activities
• Develop alternative delivery strategies, and online course development and teaching, as required
• Detailed descriptions of responsibilities are defined in the classification definition of professor in the Academic Collective Agreement
• A Bachelors and/or Master’s degree in mathematics, education with mathematics teachable as an asset or related field
• Minimum of five years combined experience in teaching and/or industry, applying skills in mathematics and statistics
• Strong mathematic and analytical skills
• Previous demonstrated teaching experience focusing on mathematics in engineering and environmental technology, skilled trades and related programs at a postsecondary level and/or adult training experience
• Demonstrated mastery of curriculum development, universal design for learning, optimising delivery strategies, adult learning methodologies, academic advising, and student success strategies
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and problem-solving skills
• Proven ability to contribute to, and work in, a positive team environment and to foster the same in their students
• Commitment to life-long learning
• Demonstrated ability to work with diverse student populations
• Computer literacy: Microsoft Office Suite
Additional Asset / Preferred:
• Additional experiences and/or learning focus on mathematical thinking and problem solving, and appropriately applying technology in the solution of engineering and/or computer related problems using algebra, geometry, right angle trigonometry, trigonometric functions of any angle, systems of linear equations, statistics, complex numbers, Sequences Series, the binomial theorem, and exponential and logarithmic functions
• Demonstrated experience working with MATLAB ® or similar computational mathematics platforms
• Working knowledge of one or more skilled trades with the ability to relate it to mathematical applications
• Experience with online course development and / or online teaching related to mathematics
• Computer literacy: Learning Management System / Web Delivery Software (i.e. Blackboard) and Student Information Systems
• Ability to effectively integrate new technology into teaching and learning such as AI and adaptive learning platforms
• The ability to teach in more than related program area
Applicants selected for an interview will be required to present a teaching lesson during the interview and / or present a professional portfolio.
Acceptable proof of education (degrees, credentials) from recognized post-secondary institutions or confirmation of international equivalencies will be required as part of the selection process.
Georgian College supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination and is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free environment. We invite applications from all qualified candidates and actively encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including, but not limited to persons of Indigenous ancestry, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, women and members of the 2SLGBTQ+ community. If you are contacted to participate in the interview, please advise the coordinator of any accommodations needed with respect to any materials or processes used to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and selection process.
Consideration will first be given to qualified internal full-time and partial-load employees, in accordance with the Academic Collective Agreement
To be considered for this position, please visit our website at www.GeorgianCollege.ca and apply by navigating to About Us and then to Career Opportunities.
Applications for this position must be received by 11:59 pm, January 30, 2023. While we thank all applicants, only those contacted for an interview will be acknowledged.