P.O. Box 631, Station A
College Website: http://www.CentennialCollege.ca
Professor, Automotive Service Technician (2 Full-time Vacancies)
School of Transportation
Job ID: J0422-1960
Classification: Full-time Faculty
Campus/Location: Ashtonbee / Remote
Posting Date: April 27, 2022
Closing Date: May 12, 2022
Note: This position will take place on-campus and virtually when deemed necessary.
Salary: As per Academic Collective Agreement
Centennial College recognizes and affirms Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Indigenous ways of knowing as central to the vibrancy and uniqueness of its learning and working academic mission. We strongly encourage applications from members of Indigenous communities and all equity-deserving groups including Women, Racialized, Persons with Disabilities, and LGBTQ+ communities.
We also recognize that Centennial is situated on the Treaty Lands of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation and pay tribute to their legacy as well as that of all First Peoples that have been and remain present here in Toronto. We recognize that First Peoples come from sovereign Nations and that part of understanding our responsibilities of residing on this territory are understanding the true history, circumstances and legacy of the Treaties signed here (such as the Toronto Purchase, Robinson-Huron Treaty and Williams Treaties) and including pre-contact Treaties and Agreements between sovereign Nations and that all peoples in this area are therefore Treaty people with obligations and responsibilities to all our relations.
Centennial College is looking for an engaging Professor within the School of Transportation to teach courses through theory-based live classroom, virtually when deemed necessary, and practical performance-based lab/shop methods, to meet the Ministry’s Automotive Service Technician, 310S Curriculum Outcomes in both, Post-secondary & Apprenticeship Programs. Reporting to the Chair, the successful candidate will participate in program activities including: course development and modifications, program advisory committees, program accreditation, applied research, community outreach and other projects to support program needs.
• Provide and promote a respectful and supportive environment through communication and action, based on the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion with all students, faculty, staff, external partners and community members
• Engage students to create a positive and accepting space for teaching and learning
• Use academic technology (i.e. Bright Space) to effectively teach online and blended courses to enhance and support learning
• Employs and adapts appropriate teaching/learning strategies; examines ongoing learning materials and instructional methods to eliminate potential bias or barriers (in accordance with college and program accreditation requirements)
• Evaluate student achievement of learning outcomes using a variety of techniques and complete record keeping activities (in accordance with college and program accreditation requirements)
• Work effectively in a team-based environment
• Develop, revise and adapt appropriate learning resources for students
• Provide academic support to students as part of regularly scheduled office hours; and refer to appropriate college services as required
• Contribute industry knowledge and share best practices to support curriculum development and revision; maintain connections with relevant industry and professional associations
• Participate in Reflective Practice for Professional Development and faculty related activities/events
• Remain current in technical knowledge and instructional delivery techniques
• Attends meetings, maintains student records (attendance, grades/assessments, etc.) Using eCentennial and other Centennial resources,
*Note: Due to program expansion and year-round delivery of programs, this position may have teaching assigned through the summer and on Saturdays. Vacation would then be taken at other times of the year.
• Valid Automotive Service Technician Certificate (310S) in and ongoing good standing is mandatory
• Ozone Depletion Prevention Certificate in and ongoing good standing is mandatory.
• Minimum of five (5) years progressive, current, and relevant technical experience as a licensed 310S Automotive Service Technician in air conditioning, engines, fuels & electrical, drive trains, suspension / steering and brakes.
• Extensive knowledge and expertise of current technologies that are found in Automobiles.
• Experience in course or learning materials development.
• Certification in Teaching of Adults; equivalent training, or two (2) years teaching experience in a trades-training context considered.
• Flexible and adaptable to change; able to pivot instruction to ensure successful student learning outcomes.
• Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills; ability to convey conceptual and practical aspects of curriculum to all students.
• Embraces, respects and is committed to the principles and practices of diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
• Proven written, oral and presentation skills.
• Ability to work independently and collaborate with others at all levels.
• Knowledge of adult education principles and the role of learning outcomes, instructional approaches, and evaluation techniques an asset.
• Experience with online, hybrid and learning delivery methods an asset.
• Proficient with using Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, etc.); comfortable with adapting and learning technology.
Apply online: www.centennialcollege.ca/careers
Proof of credentials or equivalencies from accredited regional or federal post secondary institutions and/or their foreign equivalents will be required at the time of job offer.
When applying, your cover letter and résumé must include examples that reflect all of the requested skills and qualifications and must be submitted online by May 12, 2022 at 11:59 PM EST. Please quote Job ID J0422-1960. Misrepresentation of applicant information will be grounds for your exclusion from the competition or for dismissal should you subsequently be hired for the position. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to providing persons with disabilities equal opportunities regarding all employment activities, including access to jobs and accommodations during employment as required, in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).