P.O. Box 631, Station A
College Website: http://www.CentennialCollege.ca
Professor, General Motors Training Centre
School of Transportation
Job ID: J0521-1250
Classification: Full-time Faculty
Campus/Location: G.M. Training Centre Richmond Hill / Remote
Posting Date: May 20, 2021
Closing Date: May 31, 2021
Note: This position requires instructing live off-campus at a General Motors facility as necessary.
Salary: As per Academic Collective Agreement
Diversity, equity and inclusion are fundamental to our mission to educate students. We are committed to education that places strong emphasis on global citizenship, social justice and equity. We live this through the strength and richness that diversity brings to our workforce and welcome contributors from equity groups including: Visible Minorities, Persons with Disabilities, Lesbian Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer persons.
We also recognize that Centennial is situated on the Treaty Lands of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation and pay tribute to their legacy as well as that of all First Peoples that have been and remain present here in Toronto. We recognize that First Peoples come from sovereign Nations and that part of understanding our responsibilities of residing on this territory are understanding the true history, circumstances and legacy of the Treaties signed here (such as the Toronto Purchase, Robinson-Huron Treaty and Williams Treaties) and including pre-contact Treaties and Agreements between sovereign Nations and that all peoples in this area are therefore Treaty people with obligations and responsibilities to all our relations.
Centennial College is looking for an engaging Professor within the School of Transportation to teach courses through theory-based live classroom, virtually when deemed necessary, and practical performance-based lab/shop methods. Reporting to the Chair, the successful candidate will participate in program activities including: course development and modifications, program advisory committees, program accreditation, applied research, community outreach and other projects to support program needs.
• Provide and promote a respectful and supportive environment through communication and action, based on the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion with all students, faculty, staff, external partners and community members
• Engage students to create a positive and accepting space for teaching and learning
• Use academic technology (i.e. Adobe Connect) to effectively deliver online Virtual Classroom Training. (VCT)
• Employs and adapts appropriate teaching/learning strategies; examines ongoing learning materials and instructional methods to eliminate potential bias or barriers (in accordance with college and program accreditation requirements)
• Evaluate student achievement of learning outcomes using a variety of techniques and complete record keeping activities (in accordance with college and General Motors accreditation requirements)
• Work effectively in a team-based environment
• Develop, revise and adapt appropriate learning resources for students
• Provide academic support to students as part of regularly scheduled office hours; and refer to appropriate college services as required
• Contribute industry knowledge and share best practices to support curriculum development and revision; maintain connections with relevant industry and professional associations
• Participate in Reflective Practice for Professional Development and faculty related activities/events
• Remain current in technical knowledge and instructional delivery techniques
• Attends meetings, maintains student records (attendance, grades/assessments, etc.) using General Motors Learning Management System (LMS) and other Centennial resources.
• Write Questions for the General Motors Technicians Guild Program
• Review and respond in a timely manner to appeals to Technician Guild Questions
*Note: Due to program expansion and year-round delivery of programs, this position may have teaching assigned through the summer and on Saturdays. Vacation would then be taken at other times of the year.
• Automotive Service Technician Certificate (310S) in good standing is mandatory
• Minimum of 4 years progressive, current and relevant technical experience as an Automotive Service Technician in a General Motors Dealership on the technologies listed below:
o Current technologies found in GM Automotive vehicles
o Automotive systems including: air conditioning, work place practices, engines, fuels & electrical, drive trains, suspension / steering and brakes ,active safety systems, EV safety and repair procedures
• Must have taken GM mandatory courses (listed below) within the last three years OR have experience developing, authoring and delivering GM Product Service Training programs and VCT Programs using Adobe Connect Platform:
o 18016.24 Electrical Diagnosis
o 10001.08 Service Information
o 11044.16 A/C Refrigeration and Diagnosis
o 16028.16 Engine Performance 1
o 16029.16 Engine Performance 2
o 18423.16 EV Battery Diagnosis Internal Service
o 18425.16 Chevrolet Bolt EV Electric Vehicle Supporting Systems
o 16026.07D CSS Engines
o 18420.05D EV Systems Diagnosis and Service Volt
o 16043.07D Small and Medium Gas Engines
o 17038.05D 8L90 Transmission
o 14044.05D AWD Systems 2
o 11000.01D A/C Refrigeration Operation and Service
• Ozone Depletion Prevention Certificate in good standing is mandatory
• Experience in course or learning materials development
• Proven communication (written, oral) and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated ability to clearly articulate expectations for students regarding learning outcomes and the evaluation techniques to be used
• Demonstrated team player
• Demonstrated understanding of diversity, equity and inclusion to meet the needs of our diverse students, staff and college community
Apply online: www.centennialcollege.ca/careers
Proof of credentials or equivalencies from accredited regional or federal post secondary institutions and/or their foreign equivalents will be required at the time of job offer.
When applying, your cover letter and résumé must include examples that reflect all of the requested skills and qualifications and must be submitted online by May 31, 2021 at 11:59 PM EST. Please quote Job ID J0521-1250. Misrepresentation of applicant information will be grounds for your exclusion from the competition or for dismissal should you subsequently be hired for the position. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to providing persons with disabilities equal opportunities regarding all employment activities, including access to jobs and accommodations during employment as required, in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).